Friday, July 2, 2010

Extreme Sport

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Romans 12:3 (NIV)

As humans we are extremists. We often find it difficult to sit in the grey. We fidget in the in between. Because we are taught early in our lives the difference between right and wrong, we think we must always live in the absolutes of yes or no.

And much of the time this is true. There is no other path to God except through Christ. This is an absolute. This is a Yes! And this is the best extreme there can be.

But there is also the not so extreme. In the Romans verse above, Paul urges us moderation. We are to think of ourselves with sober judgement. We aren’t meant to think too much of ourselves, but neither are we to think too little.

In Proverbs 30:8-9 (NIV) the prayer is one of financial moderation. Give me only my daily bread.

Many verses speak of self-control. While we are meant to die to the self this does not mean we are meant to deny all happiness, joy or a life.

God blesses us with wonderful extremes and He also blesses us with the not so extreme. It is all a blessing when we live our lives with the measure of faith God gave us.

What extremes do you tend to lean toward?

11 comments:

Rita said...

I think we all go to the extreme at times, but the Lord doesn't want that except where He is concerned. He wants us to give Him our all, but be in moderation in all other things. Thank you so much for this post. It was good to hear someone else say the things that I believe are true. I hope to meet you one day, if not here, over there!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Rita, I think you actually said it more eloquently ;)

Just Be Real said...

Fidget it correct. I too like what Rita stated above. Blessings.

Andrea said...

I am "extreme" in leaning on HIM...I know that sounds crazy, but sometimes HE is all I have to cling to.
HUGS,
andrea

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Hugs, JBR

That's the best way to be, Andrea :)

Lisa said...

Funny you would talk about this today. This was on EWTN today.

Great post Lynda and so good to read it and hear it today...Makes me wonder...Maybe your talken to me:) Yicks! I hope I'm working on it!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I get that a lot. When God wants to tell me something I hear His message everywhere I go :)

Rochelle said...

You're so right that we all need to be absolutely extreme about there being no other path to God except through Christ. Well said!!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks Rochelle. Blessings and hugs

Unknown said...

Such truth in this post! I tend to have too much self-control and forget to enjoy life! I am blessed with a twin who constantly adds, "and enjoy life" with my list of plans!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Blogger isn't behaving again. Thanks Alica from Faith Imagined for your comment. I'll keep trying to get it published here :\