Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Hope

There is something special about this time of year. Everything seems new, with a fresh dose of hope thrown in. Possibilities are grand and the feeling of positivity is strong. This is the time of year we can put aside our past mistakes. We can change, be better and start anew. This is what we tell ourselves.

But what generally happens is our resolutions hold for a couple of days, maybe a couple of weeks, and then we begin to fall back on old habits. Old reactions surface, old thought patterns return. We begin to lose hope. This is because we have it wrong.

The true hope we have doesn’t come from us. We can’t fix ourselves under our own power. It’s God’s power that changes us. And it’s not just this time of year we have new hope. God offers us new hope every single day, every single minute. We constantly live in new hope because of our Lord Jesus.

He gave us this hope because He has already forgiven us. He has made us perfect in His eyes. All we have to do is accept His forgiveness, embrace Him in our lives and Trust Him.

Yes, we will make mistakes. Yes, life won’t always be easy, but He will always, always be there for us. Our natural response to Him is to keep trying, keep striving, and keep sharing our joy of Him.

How does God's offer of a new beginning every day change your life?

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No matter how many times we screw up, He's still there, believing in us!

Carol Riggs said...

Oh yes, gotta love the freshness of forgiveness and starting over! I'm grateful for that.

The Words Crafter said...

He's the only Daddy I've ever known...and I'm learning that Daddy's forgive and keep on loving...

Rita said...

And His forgiveness means everything! Wow, what a post. Here's praying we keep our eyes fixed on Him!

Anonymous said...

I have to keep remembering that He does offer change everday; to ahead at Him instead of behind at that dark door. Lovely picture too.

Just Be Real said...

Lyn I am certainly looking for new hope. Amen

Sandy said...

I agree that there is indeed
something special about this
time of year. It's a chance
to start fresh and pray for
new faith and hope. The desire
is rekindled to walk closer to
the Lord and be a witness in
this dark world.
Thanks for such an inspiring
post.
New Year's Blessings!
Sandy

Unknown said...

Enjoyed this post! Love the picture you included! Thanks for the reminder that true hope doesn't come from us - only God's power can change us. Our part is to submit to Him!! Have a wonderful week. God bless!

Denise Covey said...

I've learned to rest in Him because I of myself can do nothing! Have a blessed 2011 Lynda!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love new beginnings, God does give us that. I need to remember every day is new.

Dakota said...

Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well: www.nocondemnation81.blogspot.com

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

welcome, Dakota. Thanks for the follow. I'll pop on over and check out your site.

Jen said...

It's so challenging to cling to Him each day, but I am so thankful that each new day is a blank slate and a fresh chance for more forgiveness. How grateful I am that His forgiveness is never-ending, because I truly need it.

D.M. SOLIS said...

Thank you, Lynda. Winter is a wonderful time...when seeds are underground, when they seem to be dead. But they're not dead at all. In life we go through many winters. Winter reminds us there will be flowers again. We can hope in the Spring, we can hope in God's love. Jesus used his life to show us. Even in the depths of winter, of loss, or grief, in the darkness of the tomb, and at the depths of the void we learn very deeply, that we are not alone, for there, like a seed underground we discover that the void itself is the good fertile soil of God's infinite love healing us, making us new again, and calling us...to Love.

Thank you again!
Diane