Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Best Years of Your Life

When I was growing up I really didn’t like school. I was an easy target for the bullies because I was little and shy and couldn’t express myself clearly. The lessons were boring and I couldn’t read out loud without stuttering. However, when I complained about my troubles, I was always told by my parents, friends of the family, aunts and uncles, “Enjoy school while you can. These are the best years of your life.”

It always sent me into a panic. This is the best I’ll ever get? Oh no, I’m doomed! I’ve got nothing to look forward to if this were true.

Then I left school and joined the work force. There were no bullies, no homework, no boring lessons. No one told me I was ugly. No one told me I was stupid. When I got home after work I could relax and switch off. I could do whatever I wanted to do.

Then work became boring. I had to work late some nights and I had to work some weekends. The pay was terrible and the stress levels began to soar. Then I thought about what I’d always been told: “School is the best years of your life.” I caught myself pining over the loss of my school days!

Well, I stopped that real fast. No, I thought, now is the best time of my life. God has blessed me with the now. Regardless of my circumstances I have God and I have now. I can see God’s power in my life. I can feel God’s love. I am blessed. I am alive. I am here, now.

4 comments:

Anastasius Widjaya said...

Nice and experienced with God. God can change a bad experience become a beautiful reality. God bless you

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yes, exactly, Anastasius. God bless you too :)

Anonymous said...

I used to dread turning 50. But when it came, that dreaded age of 50 was one of the best years of my life.
Thinking that 'today' is the day the Lord has made - let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Great post and wonderful reminder to focus on God today!

Arlee Bird said...

You got it right. I can pick out highlights of my life, but it's difficult to say any one time was the best time. It's all been good and still is. That's the mistake that many people make: They live in their past, can't enjoy the now, and don't look forward to much.

Lee