Monday, March 29, 2010

Show and Tell

One of the more important, and frequent, tips I’ve heard for writing narrative is to show the readers, rather than tell the readers. If a reader is ‘shown’ a scene, they can fall into the story more easily, otherwise they will remain disconnected from that story. No one likes to be told what to think. If they are shown, then they have the freedom to make up their own minds, the freedom to get to know the characters as they would normally get to know a new friend. The readers are pulled into the scene and they become involved in the story.

This too is the case when we share our faith. No one can gain any true understanding if they are simply told about Christianity. Unless they can see it for themselves, people can’t comprehend the phrase, “Jesus makes a difference to my life.” Words are empty without being able to witness the active reality of the power of God.

This is why Christ became a living example for us and why we are called to live as examples for others.

How are you a living example of the difference God makes in your life?


photo: taken while fishing at sunset at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I have an urgent prayer request on arise 2 write.
Blessings, andrea

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Lynda,
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart I enjoyed reading your post as well. We are the everyday Bibles people will look at.

Hugz Lorie

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Hugs to you too, Lorie

Rose said...

Lyda, Well said! I shudder at times to think perhaps there are days that I know I fall short of what I should be as a living epistle. Thank you for the reminder!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

oh, I know there are days I fall short.. but as long as I keep trying, it's all good :)