Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Wandering Mind

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."
Exodus 14:14 (NIV)

This is one of my favourite verses in the Bible. It is also one I have struggled with for many years. I may be able to sit still for a long time, I may not fidget very often, but I am one of those people who suffer from a wandering mind. I think, I worry, I fret, I plan, I ponder. How can I be still when all this is going on? How can I remain focussed on God? How can I let him fight for me when my mind churns in chaos?

The first thing I’ve found that helps is to ask God for forgiveness and then to forgive myself. There is little point in worrying about the worrying. It only adds to the worrying.

The second thing that helps is to thank the Lord for making me the way that I am. I have a crazy mind that can lead me astray, but it can also lead me to wonderful places. And so I thank the Lord for that.

The third and final thing that helps is prayer and persistence. What all these things do is turn my thoughts back to my God – and back again to my God. They teach me patience and humility and most especially reliance on the Lord.

What helps you to be still in our Lord?

1 comment:

Jody Hedlund said...

Those are 3 really great points! I think it's easy to think that we should all operate the same way. But God definitely created us all so unique and he understands our weaknesses.