Thursday, April 15, 2010

In Service to the King

God calls us to serve others but many of us aren’t comfortable with the imagery of being a servant. We think it’s somehow demeaning. We think it’s a thankless task.

So, what does it really mean to serve?

It means doing the very best that we can regardless of what anyone else is doing.

It means giving all that we can, even when we know we will gain nothing in return.

It means loving not only our family and friends, but our neighbour, the stranger and the people we don’t understand.

Jesus is our Servant King. He did his best and saved our souls even though we didn’t know we needed saving. He taught us the right way to live even though we didn’t want to listen. He gave us his life even though we spat on him. He loves us even though we continually fail him. He remains faithful to us regardless of our lack of faith in him.

We honour our Lord by striving to do all we can to be more like him in everything we do.

Do you struggle with this concept or do you embrace it wholeheartedly? How do you serve your God?

Note: Ron, The Old Geezer, left a comment in yesterday’s post which inspired me to write this and another article. Thanks Ron!

photo: barbed wire fence, Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia

13 comments:

Lisa said...

WOW! This is a great post.

There are times I just don't want to fold clothes or do dishes...I just don't want to get up and make dinner. BUT! this is my job...I know there are many days my husband doesn't want to crawl under someones house or fix their plumbing. I am going to remember this post today...in my daily chores of caring for my family. I am a wife, mother and home-school mom of 4. I love my job...most of time :)

I found you through Cristian-with-a-view...Your comment brought a smile to my face..."James 2:19 "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."" It is always nice to think of this..for me anyway.

Lisa

Karen said...

I embrace this wholeheartedly...but do not practice it as often as I should...

Wonderful post...I needed this today!

Unknown said...

It is so true that our society looks down upon serving. That serving others is somehow degrading yet God tells us that it is an honor and privilege to serve others. I think we all need to practice a bit more!!! Thanks for inspiring us!!!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I believe

Deborah Ann said...

I am so grateful that Jesus is faithful to continue loving us even in our sinful states. He is worthy of our undying love!

Vickie said...

Thank God for His grace and mercy even as I falter often to follow Jesus' example.

Blessings,
Vickie

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hey, Lynda! Thanks for coming by Write in the Way! I look forward to getting to know you! Have a great day!

Surprised By Joy! said...

This is a good reminder. All that God has done for me causes me to joyfully serve Him. I am asking me to help me have this attitude more. To do it for Jesus sake.

Blessings,
Tammy

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Hi Lisa, I can so relate. The household cries out for attention but I sometimes get so caught up with my writing that I let things slide. But it's far easier when I think of doing the chores for my husband because I love and adore him. I don't want him to have to deal with it and so I get up and do it all willingly and cheerfully.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Deborah Ann - isn't it wonderful? Isn't it fantastic? It makes me love Him even more.

Vickie - I am forever thankful of His mercy and grace.

Tammy - It is a prayer I will share with you.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I try my best to embrace it wholeheartedly!
kim

Lorena G. Sims said...

"He remains faithful to us regardless of our lack of faith in him" Amen!
He is Forever Faithful, Merciful and True.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Kim - that's awesome to hear

Lorena - Amen indeed