Thursday, April 1, 2010

Would You?

On the night before Jesus died on the cross he had his last supper with his disciples. He broke bread, he drank wine, and he took part in fellowship. He knew what was ahead for him. He knew he would suffer terrible betrayal and excruciating pain. He knew he would die.

Would you do the same or would you flee?

Jesus continued to teach his disciples on that final night. He taught them about God, about fellowship, and about love. He did this even though he knew Judas’ heart was closed. He did this even though he knew Peter would deny him. He did this even though he knew his disciples would abandon him.

Would you do the same or would you give up?

Jesus asks us to be like him. He asks us to love each other even when that love is not returned. He asks us to value fellowship, even when we may be betrayed. He asks us to follow him even though we may become an outcast.

Will you? Or will you walk away?

Photo: The sun during a bushfire in NSW, Australia

11 comments:

Rose said...

We all like to think we would, but what a great question....I think not. Just the very way we live our lives tells me most of us would not. I also would like to think that even if not at that point, that at least I am moving towards it daily through my relationship with Christ. Very good thought provoking post.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I will be doing a follow-up post on Monday regarding this and your comment, Rose. I too would like to think I would do the same as Jesus but I'm not sure I would. Regardless, I believe these are important questions to think about.

And you are absolutely right: as long as we are moving towards it daily through our relationship with Christ, then we have nothing to fear.

I could go on and on about this subject, but I'll save it for another post ;)

Rebekah said...

Great blog, I also have a community over in blog frog. Look forward to following you, I also enjoy using my blog for devotions and meting like minded people. Every blessing!! :0)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Hi Rebekah, nice of you to pop by. I'm only new to blog frog.. well really, I'm only new to blogging as well! hehe. Blessings to you too :)

Anonymous said...

Living in such a way that I'm trying. The greatest obstacle I find is not so much the people or situations I face, but instead it's that battlefield of my mind. If I can take those thoughts captive - weigh them against God's Word, and make them obedient to Christ BEFORE I act or react - on a daily basis, then I'm learning to be a bit more like Him. If that makes sense?
Again... trying.

Michaela said...

Hi Lynda!
Thank you for stopping by at my blog!
Glad you like it!
I'll be coming back here too!
:)
Happy Easter from Sweden!

Michaela

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh yes, Deb, that's well said. That's exactly my problem too.

Michaela, the photos on your blog are just amazing. I'd recommend everyone to go there and have a look.

Happy Easter,

Lyn

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog, thanks for sharing your thought and making me think about my walk with Christ.

Happy Easter.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen! I pray that I will be faithful, even when life is tough. Thank you for this great challenge!

Beth Herring said...

I pray that I am grounded enough to do what Jesus would do. Only through His strength can I even begin to walk the walk of a life in Christ.

I love everything about your blog. Thanks for praying with me on my prayer blog. You can also check out my main blog - http://aninstrument4hisglory.blogspot.com

It's where I share Christ and all that He is and all the He has done in my life.

Captivated by Him,
Beth

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Alicia - this is a precious prayer, one we should pray daily. :)

Beth - absolutely true. It is through His strength alone that we can do these things.

And welcome to my blog. I'm so glad you like it. I'll definitely check out your blog :)