Monday, April 26, 2010

To a Worm in Horseradish


There is a Yiddish proverb that says, ‘To a worm in horseradish, the whole world is horseradish.’ This is very true. What else does the worm have? The worm is content. The worm only knows horseradish. The worm eats it and is filled by it. It knows what to expect from horseradish. It is easy for the worm to be convinced that the horseradish completes it.

And even if the worm is not content, even if the worm recognises that the horseradish is rotten, the worm knows no better.

But you and I know there is more to the world than horseradish. As Christians, we are asked to live outside the horseradish.

When the other worms notice us not feeding on the horseradish, not being of the world of horseradish, they will ask, “Why are you different? Why do you not partake of all that horseradish has to offer?”

And we can reply, “Worm does not live on horseradish alone.”
---
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’
Matthew 4:4 (NIV)

8 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Lynda this is so good. I have heard of the Yiddish proverb before. Each day I am growing closer to God clinging to Him. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Rebekah said...

“Worm does not live on horseradish alone.” - I like that!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Oh how cute! I love it! May we remember we are different for a reason. Thanks for another great post!

Unknown said...

What an awesome analogy! I will be meditating on this all day!

Deborah Ann said...

I like how you put a different spin on this scripture. It gets my pea-brain thinking all over again!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh, wow guys. I wasn't expecting this response at all. I was a tad nervous about putting this post up. It's something I wrote a few years ago and everyone who has read it have looked at me funny and gone, "huh?"

Anonymous said...

I loved this.....worm does not live on horseradish alone.

I'm so glad you decided to share it.

Blessings,
Tammy

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

LOVE!!!!