Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Not So Fail

While going through the book review section of the newspaper, I came across an amusing book titled, “Edison’s Concrete Piano” by Judy Wearing. It’s a book that covers the backgrounds, personalities, and the work of 16 inventors. This is where you can find out all about the failures of these geniuses.

Thomas Edison brought us the light bulb and photography, but he also tried to create a concrete piano. Other geniuses tried to bring us crazy things like earthquake machines, flying tanks, miracle cures using peanut oil and other failed inventions.

Leonardo da Vinci brought us amazing works of art and was ahead of his time in science. But he believed he was a complete and utter failure. He finished only a few paintings, most of his experiments failed and he had, in his view, very little to show for all his work. But in truth he made such a huge contribution to society.

If these inventors had simply stopped after their first failure, then there is much we may never have seen. If God calls us to do something, then we should do it. Just because it’s God’s will doesn’t mean the way will automatically be easy. It doesn’t mean we will enjoy success the moment we begin.

If it is something that really matters, then we will have to face many obstacles. This is a given. But what is also a given is that God will grant us the strength to persevere, the will to remain positive, and the drive to complete our tasks. He will provide us with everything we need.

So, the next time you look at someone else’s success, know that they had to go through many failures first. Don’t give up the pursuit of your dreams. Because it matters to you, it matters to God.

15 comments:

Rebekah said...

I think I understand you on this one....

Amen to that! Press on and enjoy the journey to!

Eeleen Lee said...

Thomas Edison went through over a 1000 tries to make the lightbulb.
great post, the message is clear.

Mari said...

GReat post! I copied it and emailed it to my man..it's exactly what he is struggling with now. Thanks for sharing!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Rebekah, this one is close to my ehart at the mo.

Ee Leen Lee, 1000 tries to make the light bulb is crazy, but it does show how worth the effort it was.

Mari, I hope it helps your man :)

Helen Ginger said...

So true. We writers tend to look at the others who are mega sellers and want to be them. We should be looking at them and want to know what they know, which they learned by working very hard to get there and stay there. To get to the golden gate, you have to walk the path.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

this is a great post, it means so much to me
kim

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Blessings,
Tammy

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi Linda!
I am visiting from Alicia's blog (Confessions of a Snowflake).
I have only been blogging for 2 months, too!
I popped over here and certainly am encouraged by your words.
I love what you said here:
'If God calls us to do something, then we should do it. Just because it’s God’s will doesn’t mean the way will automatically be easy. It doesn’t mean we will enjoy success the moment we begin.'
I started my blog because God told me to, and I was encouraged by friends and family.
I am learning that it is not as glamorous as it seems ;) but that I do get so much fulfillment out of doing His will!
You, too?
And I am not blogging for success, but to be obedient, because we all have a message.
I am going to follow you along in this thing we call life, and I'm so happy to know that I have other sisters that are willing to live the message, too.
Hugs!

Kathy M. said...

What a great message. A good reminder to me. Thanks.

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful post Lynda. Thank you, as always for sharing. Blessings.

Eeleen Lee said...

thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Helen, yes exactly! we are always so busy comparing ourselves to others (especially writers I think) - and getting depressed - but really we should be learning from each other.

Leslie, This blog began because God called me to do it. I feel really blessed that He is using me to touch other people and hopefully make a difference. And no, it's not glamorous at all - especially if you are a blogger who posts every day. It's hard work and takes dedication. And on top of all that it's not just about my blog, but about the whole community so I try to visit as many blogs as possible to read, comment, and encourage.

alicia said...

Great post! I think we can all use this reminder every now and then in our lives!
I know I can. I recently was struggling with understanding God's will and why would He place something so heavily on me to have it not happen- in my time. I know I need to wait on Him, and the rewards will be great.
Thanks for sharing!

Rose said...

It is much easier to give up than to persevere. Thanks for the reminder to not quit!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You guys might get a few more blogs with this message in them because it's something I need to hear a lot recently.